Saturday, March 10, 2007

Kinston Run, by myself!


I figured Friday night that one of our group would cruise to Kinston with me but no one could make Saturday morning so I rode solo. I had not run the Ultra much above 60 for any amount of time so I decided to go to Kinston on the bypass. I hit the 70 MPH zone in fifth then kicked it in to sixth gear and set the cruise on 78 MPH. The tach was reading about 2700 RPM and the stock exhaust settled into a wonderfully toned highway song. Feet up on the Switchblade highway pegs and 20 minutes later I was approaching Dover. I tapped the brakes and the cruise disengaged just before the Dover exit and rode the remainder of the way at about 60 MPH or so. I made a brief stop at McDonald's in Kinston for a drink and called a friend of mine so he could check out my bike. That accomplished, I headed back to New Bern via highway 58 and Trenton. It had been years since I drove that back country road. It was a very comfortable trip back and at a much more restful pace. Total round trip of 105 miles. There are 704 miles on the odometer and at the fill up today the MPG comes to 37.84. I certainly think I'll get 40 by the time it's broken in. The weather was, well, fantastic. One of those days when the leathers are just right riding but a little warm if you stop more than five minutes.










No comments: