Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Wave

I know, I know, it's a topic that's been discussed time and time again. I'm not just talking about the Motorcycle Wave but the Jeep Wave as well. Believe it or not the Jeep folks have a wave but it is more like "Hey there's a Jeep, I'm in a Jeep." Whereas motorcycle riders wave at other motorcycle riders and most are not concerned as to the make and model, Jeep owners only wave at other Jeeps. Of course there is a protocol to be observed. The Jeep wave in usually initiated by the lesser (consider taller, bigger lift kit, over size tires, lots of off road lights) or newer vehicle. Now don't call your Ford Explorer a Jeep. It ain't. If the word Jeep is not on your vehicle it is not a Jeep. And yes there is a hierarchy within the Jeep community than involves Jeeps other than the Wrangler. Jeep owners are an odd lot.

The motorcycle wave is always interesting to me. Unless I am in the middle of a maneuver that requires all hands on deck then I will always wave. I don't care what type of motorcycle you ride as long as you ride. Fists and knees in the wind, and that sort of thing! Sometimes the wave can be a royal pain. Just what the hell are you supposed to do when you approach the late November Toys for Tots run of 420 bikes? Thirty one, thirty two, I really need to downshift at this light, any minute now....well you get the point. I really do try to initiate or return the wave at all times but sometimes I am preoccupied with the scenery or traffic. It is obvious that some riders of certain brands are less likely to wave than others and why that is I don't know. I do know that my fellow Harley riders actively participate in the wave. One statistic I read a week or so ago places motorcycles at just below ten percent of total vehicles registered. So no matter what you ride, put your brand loyalty aside and wave to your minority brethren.

Minority..hmm...where is Reverend Jackson's business card...it's here somewhere. NAACP, National Association for the Advancement of Cruising People. Nah, that would keep the Sport Bikers out. NAAMP, National Association for the Advancement of Motorcycling People. We can ride on Washington!


Owner of a 2000 Jeep Wrangler and a 2007 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic. Waving my ass off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Jeep can't really be easily compared to other vehicles. Though there are jeeplift kits for truck and jeeplift kits for rv . the lift kit installed on Jeeps provide better ground clearance and smoother driving