Sunday, November 18, 2007

Leaves

I was in the yard early Saturday morning joining Buster on his morning constitutional when I noticed the leaves. The temperature had been below freezing during the night and as the morning sun warmed portions of the poplar trees it caused large volumes of leaves to be Dscf7330released in a slow dizzying race to the ground. There was no wind to be noticed and it was so silent as to be almost eerie. As the leaves came to rest on the ground and each other there was a sound not unlike that of large damp snowflakes, that soft plop of a noise, as they hit the ground. There were hundreds of leaves in the air at any given instant and I stood there for a while, mesmerized by the event, but it only lasted for a few moments. The only evidence of the incident was a rather thick golden carpet under these particular trees. I find it interesting that I was in the precise location at that particular time to witness the leaf flurry. Buster didn't share my interest in the least.

No comments: