Sunday, February 15, 2009

Almost Gone, Completely Forgotten

 

Michael, over at www.losterariders.com ,  has some great shots of old buildings and it got me to thinking of what I have seen in our rural part of the state of North Carolina.

You don't need to ride far to see the results of progress, well maybe progress isn't the word I'm looking for here.

While at Michael's site I just couldn't keep from wondering, when I see the abandoned structure, just what happened right at the end. 

At one point the lights were on, perhaps children were running and shouting and happy.  A dog was curled up at his master's feet in front of a warm crackling fire, paws twitching with dreams of the days adventures.  A young husband and wife were discussing their dreams and ambitions while the aroma of delicious food wafted from the kitchen.  There was no TV, no Internet.  A few bare bulbs for light and barely running water.  Home cooking was all you knew and the kids were in by dark. 

But how did it end?  What caused the structure to be set adrift in the tide of humanity?  A picture truly is worth a thousand words.

 

Dscf9017alt
The sun still shines through the back window. (Near Scotland Neck, NC)




Dscf9015alt

Someone's comfortable chair still remains. (Near Scotland Neck, NC)



Dscf9021alt
The smell of fried chicken on a Sunday afternoon.
(Near Scotland Neck, NC)




DSCF9032
There's room for one more horse.
(Statesville, NC)
 
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ralph,

Thanks so much for the nod to my site. I like the blog a lot and you nailed my sentiment right on the head in terms of what I think about when I see those old buildings. Take care and keep shooting!!

Michael