Monday, April 16, 2007

MSF Rider Course

Being aware will keep you alive. It's not a guarantee but it certainly puts the odds in your favor. I started riding in the early 70's on dual purpose bikes. I taught myself how to ride and by doing so developed both good and bad methods.


In January of 06 we bought the Sportster and a month or so later I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course at Craven Community College. Some have asked why I took the course if I already had my motorcycle endorsement. Quite a few of my friends that had been riding for years suggested that it was the best thing to do. There is also an insurance break when you complete the class, at least there is with H-D.


After riding a month, and before I took the class, I realized that the highways had become very unfriendly to bikes since I last rode. Then I thought that since I was in my upper 40's I was not bullet proof anymore. Maybe now things that should scare me actually do. On a bike the roadways seem a hell of a lot bigger than when you're in a car. The traffic seems more complex and little old ladies are out to kill you. The sweet old lady out for her weekly drive and making that left turn really worries me and she should worry you. This also applies to the nice old guys, the driver with the cell phone to their ear and anyone else not paying attention. From what I have experienced that would be about 50% of automobile drivers.


The MSF course was all my buddies said it would be and more. Did I learn anything? Without a doubt. The course was about a hundred bucks and the best return on investment I will ever have. It was a Friday evening and all day Saturday and Sunday class. It starts out with some written documentation, a few instructional videos and then slides right in to hands on riding. There were people that had never ridden in their life and one guy that was almost 70. And you know, everyone that tried and applied the new found knowledge passed the class.


If you have ridden and you go into this class thinking you know something, then you just wasted your money. Take the class, maintain an open mind and listen. Do everything as instructed regardless of what you think and you will have a blast. The instructors are top notch and very experienced. Their shared insights alone are worth the small fee. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the amount of information you will learn and the bad habits you will be able to break. With the riding techniques you learn you may well prevent that next "close call" and with the education and insight you gain, the life you save may be your own.

No comments: