Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Photography and the Motorcycle

Photography and the motorcycle are two of my favorite things and when combined it creates a most pleasurable experience. Those of you that ride know how the world seems to open up when you are astride the two wheeled beast. One drawback is we seem so concerned with the journey that we don't allow time to look around, stop and take a few shots. By nature, motorcyclist seek out some of the less traveled pathways and by doing so encounter some of the most impressive scenery to be had. A few of us were discussing some of our favorite roads a week or so ago. We talked about the Seven Springs run down Highway 55 between Kinston and Dunn. We also remembered the route to the Manteo area through Washington, Englehard and Stumpy Point. I discovered recently that those routes are listed in the North Carolina Scenic Byways publication. I wonder if a motorcyclist was on the board that developed the document. Might have saved some time and research.


I actually appreciate the guys and girls that ride the sport bikes. It looks like a blast all bent over the tank hiding behind that really low windshield. I must admit that the speed of those machines is amazing as well. But where do you put your camera? How, pray tell, do you take in the scenery at well above posted speed and while on one wheel? Beats me. I think we'll just poke along in an upright position taking in the sights and sounds offered by the back roads of eastern North Carolina.



Debbie is becoming quite a photographer-in-motion, cataloging our riding partners and routes from the back seat with her camera. Of course there is always the setting you pass through that almost forces you to stop and take a few shots. Up until now I always hesitate and just keep riding but there will come a day when I can't stop because I will be unable to ride any longer. I think I'll make a few stops along the way from now on. We can always use a few more entries in the digital scrapbook.


We are very lucky to be living in eastern North Carolina. It seems that there are always a couple of weekends you can ride even in the winter months. While each area of the state has a unique beauty I'm a little partial to the east. Being born and raised here will do that. There is just something about the mix of heavily forested areas, lakes, rivers and the coast that sets you up for a real photographic journey. Next time you're cruising along take a minute or two to stop and grab a few pictures. It will make the memories even better.

No comments: