Friday, April 6, 2007

Eyewear and Motorcycles

If you wear glasses then you can relate to the issues involved in eye wear used for motorcycling. When we had the Sportster I wore the 3/4 helmet (H-D Jet II) and flip up face shield. My prescription glasses and sunglasses worked behind the shield quite well. With the Ultra I realized I had the protection of the standard height windshield. I decided to remove the visor and still utilize my glasses. With this setup things were good most of the time. There are the times when debris still gets by everything and there I am with something in my eye while I am running down the highway. It would be really cool if one pair of glasses could do it all. I needed a solution.


I go the the local Harley-Davidson shop and talk with Karen. This lady knows the MotorClothes department and she helps me decide on some Wiley-X Airrage frames. Off they go to the company that can make and place the prescription lens in the frames. When they come back it seems the bi-focal needs to be altered to progressive. Non-progressive might be good for reading but they severely limit your focusing on the dash. Other than that minor issue they will work out quite well. They will go from clear to darkened when needed and they have a removable foam liner that make them presentable for normal sunglasses. My vision is as good with these as with my regular glasses, I have great eye protection and the glasses are Z rated for safety compliance. With their great looks they may help my image! If you happen by New Bern H-D be sure to tell Karen hello. I am sure she can help you ride safer and more comfortably.


Click the logo to visit the site.

No comments: