Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Moving Right Along


We all know that our bikes will run over 100 mph. You know it, I know it and some of us have tried it. There is certainly a thrill to be had as you accelerate beyond 90 the first time. But once you go beyond the perceived barrier it slowly disappears and you are left wondering and wanting. What is the obsession with speed all about? It reminds me of the Molly Hatchet song Flirting With Disaster. There is a quote I like that applies here as well:

“Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...”
– Hunter Thompson



I guess it's all about excess speed, power or ammunition and you always want more. We were on a group ride recently and the lead bike set the pace at about 70 mph on a quickly moving four lane. I heard comments later from several riders that the pace was a bit much and I would have to agree. When my wife and I ride we generally set 60 as the upper limit on local four lanes and frequently ride at 45 and 50 on many back roads. Of course the speed we ride has a lot to due with the posted speed and traffic flow and that seems to be agreeable to our regular riding friends. Have we been faster than 70? Yes, quite a bit. The t-shirt's on back order.

"As the years increase and the miles go by you tend to slow down to see what you missed."
- Ralph - And you can quote me on that.

No comments: